- 1 What is breast pump?
- 2 Why use breast pumps?
- 3 How long can we keep breast milk?
- 4 Top 10 breast pumps
- 4.1 #1 Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump, 3.3 Pound
- 4.2 #2 Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump
- 4.3 #3 Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
- 4.4 #4 Spectra Baby USA S1 Hospital Grade Double/single Breast Pump W Rechargeable Battery with Tote
- 4.5 #5 The First Years Double Breast Pump, Quiet Expressions
- 4.6 #6 BelleMa Melon Comfort Double/Single Electric Breast Pump, 3 Pound
- 4.7 #7 BelleMa Effective Pro Double Electric Breast Pump, with Independent Dual Control
- 4.8 #8 Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Manual Breast Pump, White
- 4.9 #9 KidsTime Electric Breast Pump Double Breast Pump hands-Free Breast pump(WITH 2 x Cold Heat Pad AND 2 x Nipple)
- 4.10 #10 Nibble Double/Single Electric Breast Pump 2 Mode & 10 Levels Suction [BPA FREE]
- 4.11 Medela Electric Breast Pump
- 5 Click Here for Best Price
- 6 Breast pump accessories
What is breast pump?
Breast pump is a bottle with manual pumps to absorb breast milk from mother. It assists new mum who generally have problem providing breast milk to newborn since the nipples are still new and the breasts themselves do not have sufficient milk.
Why use breast pumps?
Providing breast milk to newborn is very vital for newborn’s growth and development. New mum normally has problem with providing breast milk to baby since the baby is not used to trying hard to suck milk from the breast. Baby tends to prefer bottle milk where the silicone nipple is long enough and convenient for them to suck out milk. Thus, it is essential to use breast pumps when parents want the newborn to enjoy convenience without crying for long and yet absorb breast milk.
How long can we keep breast milk?
The duration of keeping breast milk totally depends on the temperature and where we store breast milk. Once the milk is pumped, we should put in a fridge for later use. It can last longer than powder milk. Click here for optimal duration suggested by Mayo Clinic. If you happen to store in the fridge, you will have to use boiled water to reduce the coldness before allowing baby to feeding.
Types of Breast Pumps:
- Manual breast pumps –As the name suggests this is a manually operated device that can help nursing mothers to pump out milk.
- Easy to operate
- You are in control of the suction
- Time consuming
- Battery-powered pump – As per the name, this device is operated by batteries and these days you can get wearable varieties that help you to pump at work also.
- Hands free work
- Cheaper than an electric pump
- Can wear it under the clothes and use it
- Runs on batteries
- That may run in the middle of a session
- Electric breast pumps – These run on electricity and they allow the utmost freedom to manage other tasks like answering a few mails while pumping.
- These pumps can give you the maximum yield
- Saves on pumping time
- Powerful option
- Are a tad expensive
- Helps you produce more milk if not done on a regular basis
In short, can you go for the manual ones because they are easy to use and do not burn a hole in the pocket.
Advantages Versus Disadvantages of breast pumps
Hands down, breast pumps have been a blessing to mothers across the world. These devices have given mothers the opportunity to take a small break while nursing their young ones. On the other hand, for working mothers this works like a charm as they are bound to go out for work. In fact, using breast pumps come with quite a few advantages, but they certainly are not devoid of limitations as well. Let us weigh both the sides impartially to know more about them.
- Anyone can feed the baby with expressed milk
- There are no doubts about the fact that breast milk is nutritious for a baby
- Breast feeding protects mothers against breast cancer and endometrial cancer risks
- Milk is always handy for your little one
- Breast pumps are best suited for women that have undergone breast surgery and are unable to stimulate for suckling
- When under medications, women may tend to produce less milk and using a breast pump can be a solution
- It prevents what is known as breast engorgement during the initial months
- In some cases, mothers have witnessed a decline in their breast milk production after using breast pumps
- A breast pump is nowhere close to normal suckling that can actually draw out the milk
- Then these need constant cleaning and the sterilization process could be exhausting for new moms
- Breast pumps are not easy to travel with
Top 10 breast pumps
Whether it’s a rival to Medela or not, may not be of importance, but one thing that you can be sure of it is the hospital grade. This makes S2safe and it is strong also keeps the milk safely packed. The best part about this pump is that it starts with a massage mode and is silent. Moreover, you can control the suctioning and can keep an eye on the digital readings as handiness especially for working moms.
- Very hygienic
- Comes with night light and timer
- Enables double pumping
The most important thing while using a breast pump is to know how it operates. Otherwise, you may end up wasting a lot of feed for your baby, just some of the unfortunate ones have.
What can we find in the box?
- four breast pads to clean breasts when there is leak;
- pump head, breast pad to avoid pain, and pump head cover; and
- two milk bottles, big and small one.
A perfect takeaway for moms that travel with babies as this kit comes with a travel bag to start with. This double pumping electric device is BPA free and helps mothers to relax while pressing milk. It can stimulate your baby’s suckling and you can have a break while pumping milk. This helps in yielding more milk as you are comfortable and the angle is more natural for pumping milk.
- The soft massaging cushion ensures more pumping
- Saves time because of the stimulation
- User friendly device
- Sit and relax while expressing milk
- Comes with 2 years manufacturer warranty
Some users have found this to be loud device and that distracts mothers a lot. We request readers to check on assembling before cranking it.
This is considered to be the right choice for moms that want to use a breast pump occasionally. Medela is known for out of the box designing and this product is no different. It is a light weight pump that works on 2 expression technology and is kept BPA free. Over all, it helps you reach your goals of breast feeding in a convenient way.
- You can take occasional breaks from tending baby
- Highly portable
- Ergonomic design
The product comes with a set of guidelines and the manufacturer expects you to read it first and then start operating with the pump. A few users have complained about the suction calling it loose, but did they follow all the instructions or not, certainly seem to be a distant question.
The S1 is a great product and much like its sister S2 as they share similar features. Both are made of hospital grade that ensures safety and has been engineered with care. Talking specifically about the S1, it should be noted that it is very flexible and can work according to your body. It even mimics the suckling of your baby to stimulate the glands and is regarded fit for women who find it inconvenient to express milk with a pump.
- Very hygienic owing to its closed system
- Marked with a timer and night light
- Has double pumping facility
A few don’t like the bottles as they say that it does not any good. Well, in that case, we wonder why so many people like this set. That said, this is just another allegation that nagging people always manage to put up.
This for mom on the go, as it is super fast and most opportune for a breast pump. It has 8 levels of suctioning and the Flexi-fit shields offer you proper support while expressing milk. It is pretty quiet and you can pump milk as per your suitability with this kit. The whole set comprises of a bottle with slow flow nipples and a tote bag. This is why the First Years Double Breast Pump is deemed to be a set more than just a breast pump.
- It is light in weight
- Very efficient in expressing milk
- The carry bag is roomy and discreet
A handful of customers have found this to be useless as they say the pump did not work.Stay away from cheap duplicates!
BelleMa says that they have designed the Melon Comfort series delicately by using 20 designers. Their R&D team has been able to deliver this to provide nursing mothers from all over the world with support. Thought to be the best choice for mothers that want to pump on a regular basis, this FDA approved pump has already startled everyone.
- It is BPA free
- Easy to operate and assemble
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Remembers settings on the basis of preferred setting options
- Has a year’s warranty by the manufacturer
Some people have issues with the suction power and they want more of it. That is something very personal and that does not bring down the quality of the product.
This BelleMa product is approved by the FDA and it has to be stated that this company leaves no stones unturned while making sure that their product is safe. It is good for both stay at home and working mothers that can express milk for their babies in a handy way. Furthermore, the Effective Pro Double has a dual operation mode and works with 2 distinct phases. That is to say, it covers stimulation as well as pumping in an efficient way.
- Soft silicone cushions stimulate the glands for more production
- BPA free
- Has a warranty of 1 year
Some users have complained of the pump to have stopped working, but we are not told what went wrong. So, we deduce it is good to go.
As the name suggests, this breast pump acts just like by using mimetic action of your baby while expressing milk. Most users have found it to be a perfect for nursing mothers as it helps them take a break or balance different chores together while pumping milk. The soft touch cup is said to fit all breasts alike and is really comfortable to work with.
- Traveling moms can make use of it the most as it is the ultimate travel breast pump
- Super easy to assemble
- Simple to clean
Some do not like the suctioning power as they want it more vigorous but it has to be added that not all new mothers can take too much of a vibration. This means, it has been designed to provide relief to all.
#9 KidsTime Electric Breast Pump Double Breast Pump hands-Free Breast pump(WITH 2 x Cold Heat Pad AND 2 x Nipple)
Suitable for moms on the run as you can finish pumping within 90 seconds! Mothers get to be in charge of this strength as it is completely adjustable. There are 18 different modes to choose from for pumping milk at your convenience. In addition to this, it is safe, healthy and free of any contaminants. Not only this, but it is light in weight and easy to carry too.
- It massages the breasts for prolactin
- PP is food grade
- Is 100% BPA free
- In compliance with European and US standards of volume control
It mimics the suckling of a baby
Some have discarded it as noisy, but you must be told that you need to assemble it appropriately. This will take care of noise for sure.
The name says it all and yes it has0% BPA that makes it safe for use. It can mimic the suckling of a baby which acts as a stimulant for boosting production of milk. In fact, it has dual functionality, one is that of expressing milk and the other is of generating more milk. This is automatic pump that comes with 10 settings and that makes it effortless. It is made from hospital grade and has anti-backflow system that renders it super hygienic.
- Faster to express milk
- You get more choices
- Can pump both breasts at once
- Works as a stimulant
- Comfortable pumping
A few tend to break things easily and they should not be your concern if you want to write this Nibble product off.
However, there was an error as well and the tube air tube sucked in breast milk, but we could fix it and continued to use it til today.
Breast pump accessories
You may be apprehensive being a new mom, but we are sure, like all of us here, you will get the hang of things for sure. However, you need to be prepared in order to get good at it. When planning about pumping your milk for your baby, you must buy some breast pump accessories too. You can start with a breast pump bra, storage jars, bottles and milk cooler sets. Don’t worry, we have got you covered and here is an array of such accessories:
This is a bustier bra that has been specially designed for nursing moms that want to multi task while tending your young ones. They can pump out the milk and continue with their regular chores without any difficulty. This is available in various sizes (30AA to 34J) that make it more meaningful.
- Comfortable to wear
- Is easily washable
- Fits a woman’s body perfectly
A few people have complained about the Velcro wearing away after a year’s use. Now, that depends on how you use a product.
This is a unique collection of breast milk storage and it gives you a system of doing so. It also protects the expressed milk and allows you to keep everything organized in the best possible ways. Medela is a well-known name in the baby product industry and it makes sure that all the containers are BPA free.
- It is more of an organizer
- Comes with tray that can be used for freezer or counter
- Extra containers make it convenient
Make sure that you buy from an authentic merchant only because a few customers have been duped by cons.
Planning a trip? Then you must be worried about keeping your expressed milk cool. Worry no more, as the Medela Breast milk Cooler Set can do all that for you. The BPA free containers and the contoured ice pack can keep it cool for 12 hours straight. It has been carefully engineered to provide you with the best maternity experience.
- Ideal for working moms
- The cooler bag is made up microfiber and is free of PVC
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
The only complaint that some users have made against it is that it is little expensive. Know one thing? Quality comes at a price!